AZ HPS and BELLE

---------- Forwarded message -----------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:51:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Edward J. Calabrese <edwardc@schoolph.umass.edu>
To: bill.pitchford@asu.edu

Dear Bill:

It was a pleasure to speak with you this week.  Thanks for your interest in
BELLE and the visiting seminar/lecture program.  Let me suggest the
following and see if this sounds attractive to you.  Over the past two years
I have been developing a chemical hormesis data base.  This represents an
strong effort to make a comprehensive search of the published literature on
hormetic dose response relationships.  We have established very stringent
entry criteria for inclusion into the data base.  While this work is
continuing it is now quite evident that there are numerous reproducible
examples of this phenomenon in the published literature.  While our efforts
have focused on chemical examples to date, we plan to initiate a similar
activity on ionizing radiation in the very near future.  I would recommend
that a rather detailed sharing of the evolving data bases be provided as
part of the content of the invited seminar.  This will place the discussion
on clearly scientitic grounds rather than falling victim to any ideological
orientation that others may have.  We have recently provided such a
presentation to Exxon Biomedical with good success.

The only problem that I see is that we are much further along with respect
to the chemical hormesis data base than the radiation one.  Nonetheless, I
think that this type of presentation is in the proper direction and places
the discusson as that is:Evaluating Hormesis as a Scientific Hypothesis.

Let me know why the interest of your organization is with respect to this
concept.

Sincerely,

Ed
Any of you have any strong feelings about particular members of the
committee that would make such an event worth travelling to ?

The AZ HPS executive council will be voting on whether or not to sponsor
this event during our Wednesday meeting.

If anyone would like to express their interests and desires, now is the time.

Further information will be available Thursday.

Thanks and Enjoy...

Bill Pitchford                  Bill.Pitchford@asu.edu
Radiation Protection Facility   (602)965-6140 voice
Arizona State University        http://www.asu.edu
Campus Box 873501               (602)965-6609 facsimile
Tempe, Arizona 85287-3501       http://physics.isu.edu