Cooling Tower Radioactivity

       This seems to have been kicked back to me from radsafe (maybe they
didn't like my suggestion), but I'll try again one more time...jb

At 08:55 AM 8/13/97 +1000, you wrote:
>DATE:  08-12-97     TIME:  15:20
>FROM:  MHS:BAUMBAUG@SMTP (baumbaug@nosc.mil) <baumbaug@nosc.mil>
>
>TO:  MHS:RADSAFE@SMTP (Multiple recipients of list)
><radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>SUBJECT:  Re: Cooling tower radioactivity
>PRIORITY:
>
> --------------------------------M/S---------------------------------------

>        David,
>
>        If the tower had a "lightning" rod, then you've probably found your
>culprit.  Lightning rods "often" have radioactive material (various
>radioisotopes are/were used) incorporated within them to ionize the
>surrounding air and facilitate the lighting's path to ground.
>
>        Joel
>
>P.S. It "could" also be natural radioactivity (sediments) in the water, but...
>

>At 02:27 PM 8/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Dear colleagues,
>>
>>I recently had a question asked by a member of the hazardous waste team
>>at our facility that I did not know the answer to and was wondering if
>>anyone could help me.
>>
>>He told me that a waste hauler friend of his had dismantled an old water
>>cooling tower (~40 yrs old) from the top of an office building and had
>>attempted to take it to a landfill.  The tower material  was rejected
>>because it was emitting radiation above the landfill's acceptable
>>limits.
>>
>>Would anyone know how radioactivity could have ended up in the tower
>>materials and what radionuclides could be present?  From what I was told
>>most of the material was wood.  Thank you in advance for your
>>assistance.
>>

>>David Engelbretson
>>Asst. RSO
>>Methodist Hospital, Houston

Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
Naval Research and Development (NRaD)
San Diego, CA., U.S.A.

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by my employer
(the U.S. Navy), the Federal government or my supervisors.