Re[2]: Low Doses, Ethics and LNT -Reply

     David,

     Good question. I may be way off base here, but I don't think so. Is
     there an established, worldwide, anti-airline network of organizations
     whose stated intent is to shut down the commercial airline business?
     Of course, the answer is NO. I think that's the major difference
     between the nuclear industry and most others, not just the airline
     industry.

     For many years, the public has been bombarded with a very effective
     campaign by many organizations whose sole intent has been to spread
     anti-nuclear rhetoric and scare the public. This has clearly worked
     quite well. We are trying to counter this without much luck.

     One other factor: Ask any person whether they, individually, "need"
     nuclear generated electricity, and I'll bet that their answer is no.
     Ask that same person whether they ever anticipate "needing" to fly on
     a commercial airliner, and I'll bet that most will answer yes. People
     seem willing to take more risk (whether that risk is perceived or real
     doesn't really matter in this discussion, does it?  ;-)  to get
     something they "need" than for something they don't think they "need."
     For example, automobiles kill about 50,000 people every year, but most
     people still drive because they "need" to, and also because as has
     been discussed earlier, they perceive risk quite differently if they
     think they can control it.

     We can discuss this type of issue among ourselves, but can we easily
     solve it? I don't believe so. Have you ever had a discussion with
     someone who was anti-nuclear, because radiation is "harmful," while
     they were smoking a cigarette? I have, and it's really frustating. I
     tried to use reason and facts, while this person used emotion and
     inauccuracies.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com