RE: Canada nuc plants

Bob Flood asked:

>"I can't help but wonder: is the Ontario program being shut down as a
>failure because nuclear was the wrong way to go, or was the heavy water
>reactor the wrong way to go? Might a light water system have succeeded?"

The question of whether a light water system would have succeeded or not
is a non-issue.

The Ontario Hydro report stresses that the CANDU technology is robust
and sound.  However, it strongly states that the problems are problems
of internal Hydro management and work-culture.  As result, Hydro decided
to shut down these units in order to address the management and
work-culture problem.  There is relatively little needed in the way of
major equipment/reactor repair.

Emelie Lamothe
lamothee@aecl.ca
djack@intranet.ca