Re: Radiation exposure on inter-continental flights

You should find data in the UNSCEAR reports. Also the following references
provide some data of doses during flights:

Wilson OJ, Young BF, and Richardson CK. Cosmic radiation doses received by
Australian commercial flight crews and implications of ICRP 60. Health Phys
1994;66:493-502.

Friedberg W, Faulkner DN, Snyder L et al. Galactic cosmic radiation
exposure and associated health risks for air carrier crew-members. Aviat
Space Env Med 1989;60:1104-8.

The radiation doses of airplane personnel will become a point of discussion
in Europe, as they are not any longer excluded from radiation protection
regulations according to the revised Euratom Basic Safety Standards.

Wim Passchier

>Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 18:10:05 +0100
>From: Bjorn Sandstrom <sandstrom@ume.foa.se>
>Subject: Radiation exposure on inter-continental flights

During the latest Radiation Research Society meeting someone mentioned
figures for the increase in radiation exposure during inter-continental
flights. I have a lecture on radiation effects to air personnel coming up
and I would appreciate the help of someone who knows the figures or where I
can easily find them.

Kind regards,

Dr. Bjorn Sandstrom
FOA
S-901 82 Umea, Sweden

Dep. Executive Director, Health Council of the Netherlands
PO Box 1236, NL 2280 CE RIJSWIJK
tel +31 70 340 6262, fax +31 70 340 7523
e-mail wf.passchier@gr.nl
private: Severij 1, NL 3155 BR MAASLAND
tel +31 10 599 0247
e-mail wfpas@worldaccess.nl