HP History question -Reply

James Platner ask about a history of health physics and ALARA.  I am sure he will
get an abundance of responses.  My suggestion as a starting point is:

     Taylor, Lauriston S., "Radiation Protection Standards," CRC Press, 1971.

Of course, I must mention the Brodsky-Kathren-Willis article in Health Physics,
Vol. 69, No. 5, pp783-823, (November 1995).

ALARA, in various forms, dates back (at least) to NCRP-4 (NBS Handbook 23,
1938) which offered the following:

     "The most important point is for the radium worker to have an ever present
      realization of the danger and to carry out all manipulations in such a way as to
      reduce exposure to  a minimum."

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov