Re: Tritium Contamination

At 03:42 PM 8/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a way to analyze chips of concrete suspected of
>containing tritium contamination? We would like the ability to determine the
>total activity contained within a sample. Assessing a sample for potential
>activity seems fairly straight forward - one could grind up a sample and
>count it by liquid scintillation. The trick is trying to determine the activity
>contained within the particles. Is there a way of chemically dissolving the
>concrete while retaining the tritium in solution?

I asked one of our chemists at Perma-Fix and this is what he did for a
similar problem where C-14 vials were solidified in concrete.  Years later
the drum was sent to us to remove the C-14 vials for processing and check
the concrete for contamination.  Dissolve the concrete using a strong
mineral acid.  If the tritium is in a water soluble form, then the acid will
keep it in solution.  If the tritium is tagged to a VOC then it may get
released.  If you grind up the concrete and the tritium is in a soluble
form, you may lose half of it.  Good luck.
- George Harder

Of all the things that I've lost, its my mind that I miss the most.