Re: Radioactive substances in consumer products

     This question came up two years ago on RadSafe, and I happened to save
     most of the responses.  The following is a compilation of responses
     that provided apparently useful references.  I am not the original
     author of any of these responses, so I don't have more information
     than what I have provided below:

     ********

     Read the article "Radioactive Consumer Products in the Classroom", by
     J. Couch and K. Vaughn, in the Physics Teacher, Vol. 33, Jan. 1995,
     pp. 18-22. It contains lots of good stuff about Fiestaware,
     gas-lantern mantles, NoSalt, etc., etc.

     Also, check Golnick, Basic Radiation Protection Technology, 3rd ed.,
     pp 163-166, and

     NCRP Report No. 93, Ionizing Radiation Exposure of the Population of
     the United States, pp 29-34, as well.

     ********

     NCRP 56 and 95 are a good reference.  The report is entitled
     "radiation Exposure From Consumer Products and Miscellaneous Sources.

     ********

     You may try to get a copy of "Radioactivity in Consumer Products"
     NUREG/CP-0001 published in August of 1978.  There are chapters on
     Radioluminous materials; mining, agricultural, and construction
     materials containing radioactivity; Products containing radioactive
     sources; misc products; and a panel discussion.

     ********

     The European Commission commissioned a report on consumer products,
     the report was published in 1995.  The details are as follows:

     European Commission
     radiation protection 68
     Study on consumer products containing radioactive substances in the EU
     Member States.   Contract No 89-ET-023    Report EUR 15846 EN ISBN
     92-826-9000-8

     The report is 112 pages. It covers General Information; Relevant
     legislation and Guidance; Evaluation of the collected information and
     Material and Annexs plus references.

     The book is orientated to European Community Countries.   Consumer
     Products listed are: radioluminuous paints, gaseous tritium light
     sources; antistaic brushes, optical lenses, ceramic tiles and
     tableware; dental products; glassware; fluorescent lamp starters;
     electronic tubes/electric lights, incandescent gas mantles; ionization
     chamber smoke detectors; irradiated gemstones; lightning Conductor
     attachments; thoriated Tungsten welding electrodes; spa water;
     building materials; and geological specimens.

     Official European Publications, if interested, can be obtained via
     agents e.g.
     In USA - UNIPUB Lanham MD tel (800) 274 4888 fax (301) 459 0056 In Oz
     - Hunter Publications tel (3) 417 5361 fax (3) 419 7154

     ********

     The following quote is from the Homer Laughlin China Company, original
     manufacturer of Fiestaware. (Reference: Sharon and Bob Huxford, The
     Collectors Encyclopedia
     of Fiesta, 5th ed. (Collector Books, Paducah, KY, 1984), p. 26.) There
     may be later editions of the book.

     "Before 1943 the colorant,14% by weight of the glaze covering the ware
     was uranium oxide U308 with the uranium content being made up of about
     0.7% U-235 and the remainder U-238...the colorant now used is depleted
     technical grade U308 with the uranium content being made up of about
     0.2% U-235 and the remainder U-238."

     A HPGe gamma spectrum shows the five characteristic low energy U-235
     peaks nicely. The presence of U-238 can be deduced
     from the strong gamma peak of its daughter Th-234.

     More details, including a Fiestaware gamma spectrum, are given in:
     Jack G. Couch and Kelly L. Vaughn, "Radioactive Consumer
     Products in the Classroom," The Physics Teacher, pp 18-22,
     Vol. 33, Jan, 1995. (Work was done, in part, as a senior project by
     Kelly, one of our 1995 HP BS graduates)

     ********

     A neutron goes into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a
     beer?" The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

     Erik Still
     Senior Risk Analyst
     Golder Associates Inc.
     4104 148th Ave. NE