Re: Subcontractors

The following points should be observed in this cases, according with the
IAEA Basic Safety Standards, Safety Series 115

I.6 - Registrants or licensees shall, as a precondition for engagement of
workers who are not their employees, obtain from the employers, including
sel-employed individuals, the prvious occupational exposure history of such
workers and other information as my be necessary to provide protection and
safety in compliance with the Standards;

I.7 - If wortkers are to be engaged in work that involves or could involve a
source that is not under the control of their employer, the registrant or
licensee responsible for the source shall provide:

a) appropriate information to the employer for the purpose of demonstrating
that the workers are provided with protection in accordance with the
Standards; and

b) such aditional available information about compliance with the Standards
as the employer may request prior to, fduring and after the engagement of
such workers by the registrant or licensee.

I.8 Employers, registrants and licensees shal take such administrative
actions as are necessary to ensure that workers are informed that protection
and safety are integral parts of a general occupational health and safety
programme in which they have certain obligations and responsibilities for
their own protection and the protection of others against radiation and for
the safety of sources.

I.13 - Registrants and licensees shall, as precondition for engangement of
workers in activities that involve or could involve exposure from a source
not under the registrant's or licensee's control, provide the employer with
any information about worker protection under the Standards which the
employer requests in order for the employer to demonstrate compliance with
other aplicable laws and regulation governing workplace hazards.

Finally not object of your question, however still important to understand:

I.5 - Employers, registrants or licensees shall ensure that workers exposed
to radiation from sources other than natural sources that are not directly
related to their work or not required by their work receive the same level
of protection as if they were members of the public

I hope this help

J.J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety and Regulation
for developing countries -- Israel