Re: Subcontractors

     Don,

     In the DOE world, it is very similar to the NRC world in regard to
     this question. We must comply with 10 CFR 835 on our worksites. (10
     CFR 835 is at least 90% identical to 10 CFR 20.) If an entity came on
     a site we "own" and wants to use "our" sources, they must comply with
     our radiation protection program, including training, source control,
     RWPs, dosimetry, PPE, etc... Radiation protection for the use of
     sources we own and are responsible for would not be delegated to a
     subcontractor. I can't think of a case where this would not be true if
     they use our sources. (I also can't really think of many instances
     where we would have a subcontractor use our sources; why own a source
     if you have nobody qualified to use it? But then, that's another
     subject entirely.)

     If someone comes on site to do work using "their" source, as with a
     radiography subcontractor, then we have the option of deferring to
     their program. Before I did that, however, I would obtain a copy of
     their state/NRC license, determine who the RSO (or equivalent) is, get
     a list of their personnel qualified to use the source, and work out
     such issues as RWP controls, dosimetry, etc. I would then formally put
     the answers to these items in writing to the subcontractor so that
     there would be no misunderstandings later if something happens.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     Manager, Health Physics & Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com