H-3 to Italy

Bill,

You will probably ship this as Radioactive Material, Excepted Package,
Limited Quantity of Material, UN2910; and assuming the tritiated
compound does not meet the classification of another hazard class.

1. The packaging must meet the general packaging requirements IATA-97
   Sections 10.5.3.1-10.5.3.9; and

   The tritiated compound is packaged such that in conditions likely to
   be encountered during routine transport (incident-free) conditions,
   there can be no leakage of radioactive material from the package; and

   the inner package containing the tritiated compound is marked
   "RADIOACTIVE;" and

   the radiation level at any point on the external surface of the
   package does not exceed 0.5 mrem/hr; and

   the non-fixed radioactive contamination on any external surface of
   the package does not exceed 0.04 dps/sq cm averaged over 300 sq cm;

   and the following excepted package notice is inside the package, on
   the package, or with the documentation accompanying the package; (I
   recommend placing it inside the package so that it is evident upon
   opening):

          This package conforms to the conditions and limitations
          specified in  49 CFR  173.421 for radioactive material,
          excepted  package   -  limited  quantity  of  material,
          UN2910.

2. An excepted package is not subject to marking, labelling and shipping
   paper requirements.

3. IATA states that the following entry should be placed on the airway
   bill in the "Nature and Quantity of Goods" column:

          Radioactive Material, excepted package - limited
          quantity of material

4. In addition you will be required to provide the Custom information
   required on an international airway bill.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
    18-Aug-97 12:46 CDT
Sb: Posting
Fm: Bill Stephany > INTERNET:BSTEPHAN@MAIL.MCG.EDU

Radsafers,

I need help to make an  international shipment of RAM.  If you've done
this, I really like to hear what you did!

We want to ship 3 microcuries of a tritiated compound to Italy.  This is
the first time I'm doing an international shipment of radioactive
material.  In addition to having a copy of the receiving companies
license and complying with IATA regulations, are there any other
regulations that should be taken into account, or documents we need?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Bill Stephany
Assistant RSO, Medical College of Georgia

fiss.bstephan@mail.mcg.edu