European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight Crews

While perusing the very interesting Council Directive, I inadvertently
came across the following currently recommended law for the European
Communities regarding radiation exposure to flight crews.  Our European
colleagues would appear to have taken the lead on this issue.

``Article 42  Protection of Air Crew

Each Member State shall make arrangements for undertakings operating
aircraft to take account of exposure to cosmic radiation of air crew who
are liable to be subject to exposure to more than 1 mSv per year.  The
undertakings shall take appropriate measures, in particular:

- to assess the exposure of the crew concerned,

- to take into account the assessed exposure when organizing working
schedules with a view to reducing the doses of highly exposed air crew,

- to inform the workers concerned of the health risks their work
involves,

- to apply Article 10 [Special protection during pregnancy and
breastfeeding] to female air crew.''

Council of the European Union.  Council Directive 96/29/EURATOM of 13
May 1996 laying down basic safety standards for the protection of the
health of workers and the general public against the dangers arising
from ionizing radiation.  Official Journal of the European Communities
39(L 159):1-114; 1996.

Comments?

- Dan Strom

The opinions expressed above are my own, and have not been reviewed or
approved by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, or the
U.S. Department of Energy.

Daniel J. Strom
Health Protection Department K3-56
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory