Re: Fe-55

        I'll reply to "radafe" in case others can use the information...

   Al,

        My current employer does not use Fe-55, but my last employer (a
university) had a number of laboratories which did.  I found that a Ludlum-3
survey meter with a low energy (44-3) scintillation probe was able to detect
the Fe-55 x-rays pretty easily...  LSC efficiency was about 35% max (of
course without quenching, etc.).  Some of the labs were able to switch to
Fe-59 which also has a "good" high energy beta and lots of gammas.  It shows
up well with a pancake probe, scintillation probe and 100% efficiency on the
LSC.  You might try this route with your researcher...

        Hope this helps,

        Joel

At 01:10 PM 8/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>We have a researcher that is going to start using Fe-55 for some transport
>assays. I am not very familiar with this nuclide and was hoping I could get
some
>specifics on it. The Rad Health Handbook states "Mn x-rays, continuous
>bremsstrahlung to 0.23" MeV (occuring at 0.004%).
>How would one detect this. Gamma spec, LSC? Could you use a NaI or G-M survey
>instrument in the lab to survey? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Al Castellane
>Oregon Health Sciences University
>castella@ohsu.edu

Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
Naval Research and Development (NRaD)
San Diego, CA., U.S.A.

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by my employer
(the U.S. Navy), the Federal government or my supervisors.