Fwd: Legislation in relation to mineral sands

                  ***** Original Message Follows *****

Dear Radsafers

I would like to ask you to direct me in obtaining any information in
relation to different contries' legislation in relation to mineral sands;

namely: ZIRCON, RUTILE and ILMENITE.  The mineral monazite usually
present in mineral sands contain about 6% thorium and some uranium and,

therefore, radiation monitoring programs were designed to monitor a
possible exposure of workers and members of the public.

ZIRCON, RUTILE and ILMENITE contain thorium and uranium in concentrations

incomparable with monazite and, therefore, as a separate minerals, were

not a subject for any significant radiation protection programs in
Australia.

However, the proposed limit for TENORM (Techncally Enhanced Naturally
Occurring Radioactive Materials) of 5 pCi/g (CRCPD:
http//www.webpub.com/~crcpd/) can potentially lead to classification of

ZIRCON, RUTILE and ILMENITE as 'radioactive materials'.

Any information that can be obtained on radon emanation rates from
mineral sands, information on the lack (or presence) of significant
health hazards associated with NORM from Zircon for members of the public

and workers, and information of disposal of zircon in land fills will be

very useful.

Thank you

Nick Tsurikov,
Radiation Safety Officer - RGC Mineral Sands Limited
P.O. Box 47
Eneabba, WA 6518
AUSTRALIA
ph: +61 08 9956 9555
fax: +61 08 9956 9597

e-mail:   ntsuriko@rgc.com.au

(Those views are mine only, not those of my employer)

-=-=-=-=-=-
The origin of a majority of zircon sands in the US comes from Florida.
However, through its use, both the states of Oregon and Washington (that
I am aware of) have reveiwed the potential health aspects of zircon sands
in relation to its use in parts casting.  I believe the State of Oregon
legislatively exempted zircon sands with less than a given NORM activity,
thereby allowing RCRA D landfill disposal (public landfill)  A good
article on the sands is Boothe, G.F., HPS, vol 38.  The State of
Washington determined that the zircon sands were acceptable for disposal
in a public landfill due to the low radon emanation rate from the
insoluble zircon sands.  A paper I reviewed from Rogers and Associates
Engineering Corp estimated the emanation rates to be .015/.013 for
Ra-226/Ra-228.   This is about a factor of 70 less than is commonly used.
 I was unable to find a specific solubility product (when I looked at
this issue) for the zircon but estimated it to be in the range of E-11 to
E-20.  Activity for the sands analyzed were in the range of 1.5 Bq/g for
the uranium series and 0.3 Bq/g for the thorium series.

I wrote a short paper (unpublished) analyzing the public health and
worker aspects of disposing of the sands in a public landfill for a
specific application in the state of Washington.  Let me know if you
would like a copy of the paper.

Sincerely,
Andrew H. Thatcher, MSHP, CHP
Washington Department of Health