Re: Legislation in relation to mineral sands

There are two references that you could try:

1. L.Morawska and C. Jeffries "Distribution of radium in mineral sand grains
and its potential effect on radon emanation" Radiation Protection Dosimetry
Vol 56 Nos 1-4 pp 199 (1994).

2. G. Johnston " An evaluation of radiation and dust hazards at a mineral
sand processing plant" Health Physics vol 60 pp781 (1991)

In addition the APRS journal Radiation Protection in Australia has published
a number of items related to mineral sand over the last seven years.

At 20:11 19/08/97 -0500, Nick Tsurikov wrote:

>Any information that can be obtained on radon emanation rates from
>mineral sands, information on the lack (or presence) of significant
>health hazards associated with NORM from Zircon for members of the public
>and workers, and information of disposal of zircon in land fills will be
>very useful.
>
>Thank you
>
>Nick Tsurikov,
>Radiation Safety Officer - RGC Mineral Sands Limited
>P.O. Box 47
>Eneabba, WA 6518
>AUSTRALIA
>ph: +61 08 9956 9555
>fax: +61 08 9956 9597
>
>e-mail:   ntsuriko@rgc.com.au
>
>(Those views are mine only, not those of my employer)

Cameron Jeffries
Environmental Aerosol Laboratory
School of Physical Sciences
Queensland University of Technology