Excepted Quantity Shppng

Carl,

The air  carrier is wrong (even if it may have been FedEx).  The carrier
was probably  referring to the IATA Excepted Quantity Label Figure 2.7.B
IATA-97.  This label does not apply to Class 7 radioactive materials and
it is  not an  ICAO requirement; therefore it is only an IATA policy and
does not have any regulatory statue.

The term  "Excepted  Quantity"  is  not  used  in  radioactive  material
transportation.     In  radioactive   material  transportation  we  have
"Excepted Package" and "Limited Quantity."

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
    20-Aug-97 07:05 CDT
Sb: Excepted Quantity Shipping
Fm: Carl Peterson > INTERNET:peterson@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com

I just sent som RadMat to the U.K. and found that there is a new red
bordered signature label required  with the excepted quantity statement.
I'm not sure what authority requires it but our air express carrier told
our shipping person that it was needed.  We scrounged a few from a near-
by company that does more RadMat shipping.

Good luck

Carl

The standard disclaimers apply to the above!

  Carl A. Peterson                          Schlumberger-Doll Research
  Radiation Safety Officer                  Old Quarry Road
  e-mail:Peterson@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com    Ridgefield, CT  06877-4108
  Phone: (203)431-5272
  Fax:   (203)438-3819