Re: Radioactive substances in consumer products -Reply

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

----------
> Von: Charles Willis <CAW@nrc.gov>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Radioactive substances in consumer products -Reply
> Datum: Mittwoch, 20. August 1997 13:28
>
> Franz,
>
> Where do you want to draw the line?  Everything is radioactive; there are
no zeros
> in this system.
>
> Charlie Willis

Charles,

It is not me who draws the line, but legislation does. I am interested,
what legislation is in other countries and I am interested about what kind
of consumer products (which is a technical term for me) may contain
radioactive material which I do not know yet. I know that almost everything
is radioactive one way or the other, but to clarify: the scientific slang
of "radioactive material in consumer products" is of course with respect to
radionuclides added deliberately to consumer products for certain effects.
They contain both natural occurring radionuclides like radium, artificially
produced ones like promethium and even artificially produced naturally
occurring ones like tritium - all used in watches for luminous dials.

I apologize if I have not expressed this clearly enough.

Thanks to the large number of RADSAFERS who provided me already with
valuable hints both through RADSAFE and to me personally!

Franz