Re: Cassini Mission and Plutonium RTG's

August 26, 1997

Dear Colleagues:

The responses to the Cassini Pu-238 RTG risk on RADSAFE shows that many of
you have good information and ideas that needs to get to CBS 60-minutes.
The staff reporter working on this project is: Ms. Anne Giodano, CBS 60
Minutes, 524 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019. She needs short,
readable communications from us explaining why the alarmists are wrong
about the risks. I have talked to three times and sent her a care package
of materials about Pu-238 risks. I did not have information about the
safety design features. She needs balanced information about the safe
design of the RTG's to counter the people who keep telling her that the
Pu-238 risk from the Cassini mission is astronomical. Please don't give her
things to look up; she doesn't have time. Send her print-outs of the key
web pages, etc. In your letter begin with a short paragraph stating you
professional qualifications including HPS membership, CHP, etc.
We have only a little time left to get good information into their story.
Please reformulate your RADSAFE responses and send them to Ann.

Thanks,

Otto
		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
                [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 916-752-7754     FAX: 916-758-6140
		E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu