Re: X-rays on human subjects for research

A point to consider on using x-rays on humans for research purposes:  we
operate in a legal environment.  Each state may have different legal
constraints (or lack of them) with regard to them.  These may be provisions
of law, regulation, etc.
My state has a regulation providing:
"Individuals shall not be exposed to the useful beam except for healing
arts purposes and such exposure has been authorized by a licensed
practitioner of the healing arts."  It further prohibits exposure of
individuals "for training, demonstration or other non-healing arts
purposes."

Although I know of no particular case here, it would appear that a
physician or other practitioner whose scope of practice includes
prescribing x-rays would have to authorize exposure of each individual.
PhD types would not be authorized.  Further, the exposures would have to be
for "healing arts purposes."  These are not defined, but it would be
stretching things a bit to use x-rays on healthy people or on the ill or
injured when the x-rays were not being used for diagnostic or therapeutic
purposes.

I'm not arguing for or against the rule but simply saying the rule exists.
I believe many other jurisdictions also have the same or similar rule.

(usual disclaimers
wayne johnston
nh bur rad hlth
6 hazen dr