Re: NUREG-0041, Respiratory Protection Manual

At 07:58 AM 8/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>     I have come across a copy of NUREG-0041, "Manual of Respiratory
>     Protection Against Airborne Radioactive Materials" dated September
>     1976.  Has this NUREG been superceded or is it still considered
>     "current"?

0041 was an attempt by the NRC to establish respiratory protection program
requirements without going thru the rulemaking process. 0041 was developed
and the NRC tried to impose as if a regulation, and add compliance with it
to licenses where they could. No nasty intentions, just trying to improve
the state of respiratory protection, but outside the regulation review and
approval system.

People objected, a court decided the attempt circumvented the established
rulemaking procedures, and that led the NRC to develop a revision of
10CFR20 that added most of the respiratory protection stuff in the version
before the 1/1/94 overhaul.

Clear as mud?

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.