Re: Disclosure of SSN

In the nuclear power industry one runs into this problem all the
time. I believe Elaine has provided this individual enough
information as to why the SSN is required. If the system uses the SSN
as a key identifier, and the individual refuses to provide it, then
they can be excluded by the facility. No individual has the right to
demand employment and badging at the same time they are refusing to
comply with all of the facilities written requirements. While the
Privacy Act does provide the individual certain legal protections,
the rights of the employer are also evident. The purpose of the SSN I
assume is to provide positive identification of the individual. It is
also used in reporting information to the DOE, in Elaine's case, as
well as to the NRC and other regulatory agencies. It is used
throughout the nuclear industry. This issue should not be confused
with listing each individual's SSN on dose reports or other documents
which receive wide distribution within the facility. In that case,
the individual does have a case whereby the information is maintained
confidentially.

I suggest that you turn this issue over to your Legal Counsel and
Human Resources Department personnel, and let them handle the
individual.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director