Re: What would we do with a threshold?

Eric -

I think that most HPs I know agree with ALARA.  The difference in opinion
involves what is considered "reasonable".  If the LNT theory is correct,
then "reasonable" is much more limiting than if there is a threshold.  If
there is a threshold, then there may be dose without risk.  This, of
course, means that trying to reduce exposure below the threshold is
unreasonable since it involves cost with no corresponding benefit.

My understanding of the discussion is that there are two goals:

How do organisms react to low doses of radiation in the real world?
How does this response affect our definition of reasonable?

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP
karam.1@osu.edu

Ohio State University Radiation Safety Section
1314 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH  43221
(614) 292-1284    	(614) 202-7002 (fax)