Re: What would we do with a threshold? -Reply

     Radsafers,

     We do urgently need to save money for many useful things.

     I propose that ALARA and threshold concepts can and do work together.
     Simply put, some statements need to be made regarding what is
     REASONABLY ACHIEVABLE in broad terms.  In fact, our experience has
     shown that ALARA is not meaningful without a threshold.  As practicing
     health physicists, we do set limits to how far we look for a vanishing
     source term.  Similarly, the HPS position statement "works with" LNT
     giving guidance regarding at what point we cease to consider LNT
     projections towards zero.

     Technically, we act on the mathematical concept of "zero" as a limit
     we can only approach, no matter how small.  Most people have some
     fairly practical daily concepts of "zero" as readily achievable.  When
     the cookie is "gone," most of us do not search the floor for crumbs to
     be sure we ate the whole thing.

     It will never be easy, but we can continue to honestly call some level
     of risk "safe" and be prepared to defend the judgement, or more
     likely, defend the quotation.  I have not given up on the scientific
     communities as viable sources of useful information, interpretation,
     and credentials.

     Tom Graham

     graham@ccmail.nevada.edu