Re: Cassini Mission and Plutonium RTG's

Perhaps I made this worse with my explanation of "pit" sizes.  Too much
knowledge, too little clarity, please allow me to further explain.

Each bomb is generally only one element and one or two masses of that
element.  Those being U-235 and Pu-239/240 preferably with as little 240 as
possible.  The problem with Pu-238 and Pu-240 is their annoying tendency
towards spontaneous fission.  Pu-239 does SF too, however the frequency is
very, very small in comparison to 238 and 240.

Where might I get a copy of the document Dr. Raabe mentions?  Sounds
fascinating.

A thousand pardons,

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarialy represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.