Re: Disclosure of SSN

> I doubt if there is any real reason to use ONLY the
> social security number for the purpose of keeping track of dose.

The primary reason for using the SSN to track dose is that it is a
unique number, and, when used properly, the SSN ensures that the dose
accumulating for an individual includes all of the dose that should be
assigned to the individual. It is also the mechanism whereby the
regulators can determine if an individual is attempting to
circumvent the regulatory limits by using different IDs. In the case
of the NRC, all doses that are sent as required for annual reporting,
and the previous requirement for sending termination reports, was
keyed to an individual using the SSN. It is the only full-proof
identifier that pinpoints an individual.  The excuse that the SSN
could be misused may be valid. However, that excuse was also used 25
years ago, when there was little evidence of misuse. Even today,
there are no statistics that show nuclear workers have been
criminally affected by fraudulent use of SSN's.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division