Thresholds for the Low Specific Activity

Dear Radsafes

I am very interested in obtaining information about thresholds that are
in force in regards to the 'Low Specific Activity Material' in different
states and countries.

Is there an international database anywhere?

The reason for my question is a possible transport NIGHTMARE of shipping
this material internationally or even from state to state.

The following example is the product of my speculation only:

Let's say I have a couple of 50 kg bags of some mineral sand to send from
Western Australia to the United States on, say, Italian ship; and then
get it back.  The specific activity of the material is 9 Bq/g (~240
pCi/g).

1.  Under the current Western Australian Radiation Safety Act Regulations
the material is not 'radioactive' - the limit is 30 Bq/g.  Therefore, I
am not placing any signs on it.
2.  Bags are coming to the Freemantle port to be loaded on the Italian
ship.  IAEA current limit is 70 Bq/g, therefore the material is again not
a 'radioactive' one.  However, from January 1999 the new limit of 1 Bq/g
will be in force.  Thankfully, under the 1999 IAEA regulations this
material will be again not a 'radioactive' one, since "The regulations do
not apply to natural material and ores containing naturally-occurring
radionuclides whch are not intended to be processed for use of these
radionuclides, provided the activity concentration does not exceed 10
times the exemption values for activity concentration as specified in the
Regulations" <the level should be 10 * 1 Bq/g = 10 Bq/g ~ 270 pCi/g>.
 However, since it is an Italian ship, the Itaian Radiation Safety
Regulations will most likely apply.  What the threshold will be?
3.  The bags arriving to the USA.  The CRCPD proposed limit is 0.185 Bq/g
(~ 5 pCi/g).  What do I do?  Should I accompany those bags on the ship
and place 'radiation' stickers on them when they are in the air between a
ship and the shore?...
4.   Same bags are returning back to Australia with 'radiation' signs all
over them.  The captain of the same ship now refuses to take them on
board no matter what reasons I am presenting to him.  Since the bags are
still on the US soil, they are still 'radioactive'.  Finally I am finding
the Ukrainian ship which will take on board whatever will be suggested.
 The only problem is that 'half of the crew are Chernobyl victims', so I
am preparing to incur some 'off-record' expenses in cash.  Unfortunately,
the ship stops in New Zealand and, as I forgot to remove one sticker from
one bag, it is spotted by the visiting public.....

'The Adventures of Nick and His Radiation Bags' story can continue
forever.

Can you please inform me what these 'threshold' levels are and will
likely to be in the future in your state or country?
Maybe there is an International comparison database....

Please reply to my e-mail address: ntsuriko@rgc.com.au (at least in 'copy
to', - during the last couple of weeks I had some problems with my
e-mail)

Of course, my adventures etc. are my personal product and do not reflect
the past, present or future position of the RGC Mineral Sands Limited.

Nick Tsurikov
Radiation Safety Officer
RGC Mineral Sands Limited
PO Box 47, Eneabba, WA