>>From: SCOTT DUBE <SDUBE@QUEENS.ORG>
>>Subject:      I-131 Dosimetry
>>To: Multiple recipients of list MEDPHYS <MEDPHYS@cwis-20.wayne.edu>
>>
>>Here's an interesting case of an unfortunate patient.  This 60 year old
>>male has been treated for post-thyroidectomy for follicular
>>adenocarcinoma with metastasis to this T-11 vertebral body.  His
>>treatment history includes four separate oral doses of iodine-131:
>>
>>Jan 1996 - 150 mCi
>>Jun 1996 - 150 mCi
>>Dec 1996 - 150 mCi
>>Jul 1997 - 150 mCi
>>
>>There is still uptake in the T-11 vertebral body.  The nuclear medicine
>>physician hs two question:
>>
>>1.  Spinal Cord Dose - How can I estimate the dose to the spinal cord?  Is
>>it cumulative?
>>
>>2.  Bone Marrow Dose - I can estimate the bone marrow dose for each
>>treatment using published formalism, but again, I don't know if the dose is
>>cumulative.  Doesn't the bone marrow regenerate every few months?
>>
>>Any information or leads would be appreciated.  Thanks.

We have a similar patient who presented in 1995 with paraplegia from spinal
cord compression at T8.  He recovered movement of his limbs after surgery,
and has since had seven I-131 therapies,average 200 mCi each, for
metastatic follicular thyroid cancer (plus one external beam treatment of
30 Gy after the first I-131 treatment). Early in the piece we asked Mike
Stabin from RIDIC for help in estimating the dose to the spinal cord: the
result was an average cord dose of about 1.7 Gy/6.5 GBq administered,
adjacent to T8 (ref J Nuc Med 37(5): May 1996 Suppl,90P).  An MRI showed
1-2mm of CSF between the vertebral body and the cord which seems to provide
enough protection because of the short range of the I-131 betas.  (Unlike
Sr-89).
We treated this patient again last week; he has steroid cover prescribed
each time.  He looks pretty good but still has uptake in T8 and now a few
other sites.  We have a number of patients who have had multiple treatments
4-5 months apart, some to over 3 Ci total.
Transient bone marrow suppression after I-131 therapy for thyroid cancer is
mentioned in many papers including those of Clarke (Eur J Nucl Med
18:984-991,1991) and van Nostrand et al (J Nucl Med 27:1519-1527), 1986.  A
case of significant bone marrow suppression after 250mCi was reported by
Bushnell et al (J Nuc Med 33:2214-2221, 1992), but the patient had low
fluid intake and poor renal output.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Jocelyn Towson, RSO
Dept of PET & Nuclear Medicine
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Camperdown, NSW 2050
Australia

tel [national]  02 9515 8011    [international] 61 2 9515 8011
fax [national]  02 9515 6381    [international] 61 2 9515 6381
email   jtowson@nucmed.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au