Absolutely, Positively, 100% Safe

     To all,

     Within the recent "threshold" thread, I have seen a couple of messages
     where the author asserts that the public wants to be assured that low
     levels of radiation are absolutely "safe" (or something to that effect).

     Speaking strictly as a member of that public, how do you arrive at
     that conclusion?

     Most thinking members of the public will agree that airline travel is
     statistically safer than travel via private automobile. Most agree
     that wearing a seatbelt is safer than not. Most agree that playing
     football is more likely to lead to serious injury than playing golf.
     In other words, in most human endeavors, G. Public "knows" the
     relative risk associated with various activities. They may be
     misinformed, they may not know the real (read "calculated by
     knowledgeable experts", if you will) risks, but they do, quite
     successfully within their own contexts, make nearly continuous
     judgments concerning the relative safety or degree of risk associated
     with various activities.

     The point being that most individuals will admit, as mortal beings,
     that there is no such thing as an absolutely safe activity or
     practice. To propose to meet such a standard stops all progress, all
     education, and all hope for a better world. As one person observed,
     the anti's won't be happy until we stop using electricity altogether.

     As I see it, our ultimate mission as radiation safety professionals is
     public education, so that some day, hopefully in my lifetime, the
     "average" member of the public understands how radiation fits into the
     complex scheme of risks that he or she encounters daily. The myth of
     "absolute safety" has no place here.

     Mike Ashland, RSO
     EST
     Pittsfield, Maine, USA
     mike.ashland@gsbsc.gensig.com

     Any and all opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not
     necessarily reflect the official position of EST.