Re: Why nuclear is 'no-win' in the US

Sandy and Bill (and others)

At the risk of appearing defensive on behalf of BNL (even though I am now
officially retired and was out of my direct environmental monitoring
responsibilities prior to the apparent onset of the "leakage", it seems to
me that Senator D'Amato, Rep. Forbes and even you are demonstrating 20/20
hindsight in stating that "the Laboratory allowed an environmental release
to occur for so long before taking any action". Now that the release and its
source has become clearly apparent, it's all to easy to pontificate (as a
number of our politicians, greens and other have done) on what should have
been done.  But, I assure you that at the time they first occurred, the
early indications were subtle and confusing.

In my earlier persona, I was employed for about a decade as a ground
operations agent for a major airline.  Obviously, we were concerned above
all about safety.
Yet there were minor lapses which could have had serious consequences. Human
being (even health physicists) are not perfect, witness that serious
accidents attributable to human failure do occur.  When they do, no one
calls for permanently shutting down the involved carrier. Rather, measures
are taken to protect the system against these lapses.  What's so different
about the nuclear enterprise, except that it has an abundance of noisy
critics/enemies who want to shut it down lock, stock and barrel for
extraneous reasons that have little, if anything to do with safety?  (Maybe,
I've answered my own question).