Re: Why nuclear is 'no-win' in the US

I understand Andy's comments and can commensurate with him. I did not
mean to imply that ALL facilities that have had problems
intentionally stood back and took no action. Sometimes there is a
need for more evidence to determine that there is in fact a problem.
I worked for a utility that at one time had the distinction of having
the best operated unit in the USA. That has changed over the years.
There were problems, some were worked to resolution, others were not.
So, I am not throwing stones at anyone. I was and still believe that
as an industry, we do have this problem. Again, it isn't meant that
every facility sticks their head in the sand, but there are those
that do and they are the ones that affect us. I also do NOT agree
that a facility should be permanently shutdown, as was the goal of
our politicians. That is an overreaction, and is more likely done to
gain voter support. The problems should be fixed, and the motivation
to shutdown any facility SHOULD be based on public safety, real and
not perceived.

The fact still remains that there are many nuclear facilities that do
have recurring problems, are aware of them and take no action to
mitigate them. It's simply a matter of TQM.

If any particular facility or individual feels offended by my
comments, that was not my intent. I am just making an observation.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division