NORM Contaminated Boiler Pipes -Reply

With regard to your query about what the petroleum companies do about their
NORM, I have done a good deal of work for Exxon in Florida and Alabama. My work
involved emergency planning for hazardous materials but I inadvertently got a
quick education on the NORM problem.

In Exxon's case in North Florida, they package up all the NORM in drums and
store it on a concrete pad in a fenced field. They say they don't know what to
do with it because they don't have any clear guidance on the issue. Other
sources have told me that the EPA and the NRC have looked at the issue in the
past but have each backed away from it because of a lack of sufficient data on
the scope of the problem.

I'm sure there are others out there who have additional (and probably more
accurate) information on this issue. Any takers?

D. J. Richards
Radiological Services, Inc.
richadj@gwsmtp.nu.com
djrichards@email.msn.com

>>> "REFOSCO, CRAIG CAPT" <crefosco@sgp.robins.af.mil> 09/04/97 05:28pm >>>

A steam plant was removed from operation and found to contain Naturally
Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) upon arrival at the local scrap
metal recycling yard.  Scale analysis indicates that radium-226 is
present at concentrations of 12 +/- 0.2 picocurries per gram.  Surface
measurements of the metal and scale range from background (15-25
microR/hr) to 30-40 microR/hr which includes the background level.  A
calibrated ADM-300 survey meter with internal geiger-mueller tube was
used.

Georgia's Environmental Radiation Program of the Environmental Protection
Division regulations state that recycling of scrap metal is permissible
from a regulatory standpoint if the following criteria are met:
1.  Chapter 391-3-9.08(4)(a)1.(ii) states " scale must have a
concentration of 30 picoCi/g or less of technologically-enhanced
radium-226 or 228 in media other than soil ..." and
2.  Chapter 391-3-9.08(4)(f) states "  Materials in the recycling
process, including scale or residue not otherwise exempted, and other
equipment containing NORM are exempt from the requirements of this Rule
if the maximum radiation exposure level does not exceed 50 microroentgens
per hour including the background radiation level at any accessible
point."

Georgia officials (without making an onsite visit and firsthand
experience) have agreed that the material should be able to be recycled,
but are unable to make a recycling firm take the metal for recycling,
which is understandable.  The recycling firms that I have spoken with are
skeptical to take possession of the metal since they would be liable for
the metal if the regional smelters did not accept the scrap metal.  Are
there industry guidelines that I need to review to educate the local
scrap recycling yards, or are there other options that I should pursue?

I have not been successful in finding a scrap yard willing to take this
large amount of metal (estimated at approx 300 cubic yards and 50 tons).
 I was wondering what the drill riggers of oil/water exploration firms do
in the southeast like Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

CRAIG REFOSCO, Capt, USAF
Base RSO
Robins AFB, GA
(912) 926-8860