Re: Why nuclear is a "no-win" in the USA

radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu,Internet writes:
Ron Amoling writes, among others words:
"
>Problem is, I suspect, that most of these arguments are only being
>expressed here on Radsafe.  Not many folks have mentioned how they've
>written articles or letters to editors expressing their opinions and
>comments.  And no, articles published in Health Physics and other
>professional publications don't count.  Not many lay people read
>Health Physics!"

Amoling is substantially right.  About twenty years ago Dan Rather angered me
by what he'd left out of yet another scurrilous TV report on a nuclear issue.
My wife inadvertently said, "Why don't you do something about it."  I've given
now about 400 public presentations, hundreds of press interviews,  and
literally  shelf-feet of letters and op-ed pieces.
But I am only one person. And there are a few others who do the same.

Its difficult to match journalism's impact when they buy their ink by the tank
car load.  But it has to be done.  I view it as a responsibility to defend
science and common sense, and to explicitly oppose those who practice and
promote junk science in full view.  Members of the HP Society and the American
Nuclear Society have not done well in this activity, the PI committees of both
being exceptions.

We cannot expect the utilities to support themselves or those willing defend
them.  L:ikewise for the nuclear vendors.  As a group they've failed as public
communicators, too.
MFox

              The American Council on Science and Health
          1995 Broadway, 2nd Floor   New York, NY 10023-5860
                 Tel: 212/362-7044   Fax: 212/362-4919