Subject: Re: Limited Quantity Question
Author:  "Norman Randy" <rnorman@smtplink.microbio.com> at -MailLink
Date:    9/5/97 11:48 AM

     I'm afraid you're missing nothing! Nobody said regulations had to make
     sense. It's obvious that the only way the transporter and responders
     could tell that radioactive materials were involved is if the inner
     package and it's required "Radioactive" marking become visible.

     My guess is that they figure the quantities are small enough that folks
     needn't worry unless the situation is such that one gets close enough
     to see the "radioactive" marking on the inner package (173.421(a)(4)).
     That is, it's not enough to worry about knowing of if you have to meet
     with the HazMat team before going in (and can be safely dealt with upon
     unexpected discovery), and generally not a problem unless the outer
     package comes open in a manner that reveals the "Radioactive" marking.
     Plus I expect they'd never let it reach the point where they didn't
     require one to deal with known contamination, even when the potential
     magnitude of said contamination is small.

     Just some thoughts. I suppose it's rather dangerous to try to read the
     regulators' minds, but...

     Randy Norman
     Safety Manager & RSO
     MA BioServices, Inc.
     Rockville, MD

     My own considered opinions and not necessarily those of my employer.