DryBox -Reply

Ron,

The "drybox" you refer to sounds essentially like the cofferdams that are used
in most shipyards to perform exterior hull work on ships while still in the
water. This concept has been around forever and is quite sound. I've seen it
used on many surface ships and submarines quite successfully but have neve seen
it applied in a fuel pool. I like the idea, though. I imagine that it would
work quite nicely assuming that you don't need the water for shielding the
workers, hence losing more than you're gaining by doing the work dry.

You might consider speaking to someone at Electric Boat shipyard about the use
of codderdams. They should have plenty of exerience with them and might even be
able to give you a demo of the concept. Just a thought.

D. J. Richards
Radiological Services, Inc.
New London, CT
djrichards@email.msn.com