Re: The Health Physics Profession

Jason Armstrong wrote:

> I just want to add my 2 cents...
>
> There is huge difference of understanding between a person with a degree in health
> physics and person not having a degree.  I believe you cannot consider yourself a
> professional in health physics without a college degree and several years work
> experience AFTER you earned your degree.
>
> I worked for a few years as a "Rent-A-Tech" during refueling outages before
> earning my degree in health physics.  My level of understanding as tech was just
> enough so that I can swing a meter, write a decent survey report, and provide
> radiological coverage based upon recommendations by the plant health physicist.
>
> I have heard people say that training in the nuclear navy as enlisted personnel is
> comparable to that of a nuclear engineering/health physics degree.  This is not
> true.  My program at Oregon State was made mostly of nuclear navy enlisted people
> that were given a 3 year opportunity to earn a degree.  It was no surprise that
> the first 2 years were a struggle for the non-navy students competing for a good
> grade against the navy trained students, but by the third year, it was an even
> playing ground.
>
> My point is, you gain the theory through formal education that is necessary to be
> a professional health physicist.  Without a theory background and post academic
> work experience, you cannot make solid recommendations or decisions.  This is
> necessary to be a professional in health physics.

Another addition...

I am extremely distubed that you of all people would comment like this
being a mustang at one time. Most people that I work with strive to
increase there knowledge as they work to obtain theory and operational
experience that can not be obtained in school. There are people that
stop at the technician level and are probably not affiliated with this
discussion but those of us that strive very hard to move on gain the
theoretical background are upset that because you did not strive for
this as tech you see the need to speak for everyone. Please speak for
your self and not the hard working non-degreed people that are reaching
for higher goals.

This is my opinion love it of leave it!