The H. P. Profession (Soapb

        Reply to:   The H. P. Profession (Soapbox)

Hi Radsafers:

I always thought that the purpose of going to college was to get a "liberal"
education.  Many individuals have no idea at all what they really want to do
until after they graduate and go on to the School of Hard Knocks.  That school
usually separates the men and women from the boys and girls.

 The point of college, at least at a B.S. level, is not really to learn
something specific, but to LEARN HOW TO LEARN.  While colleges are particularly
good at doing this and flunk out those that refuse to get the message, they are
not the only game in town.

Some people have this innate ability without having to go through the formal
educational process.  A few examples come easily to mind, like Thomas A. Edison,
Albert Einstein (OK, he went to college, but I don't think they contributed much
to his theories on relativity), Marconi, etc.

Thinking back on my college years, I didn't even know what a "Health Physicist"
was.  The only radiation science I remember learning in college was the
difference between alpha, beta and gamma rays.  However, I emerged from college
with a degree in biology, and a minor in chemistry.

I fortunately, discovered health physics and learned to swim very quickly in
this profession.  At heart, I always considered myself a renaissance man,
interested in many, varied things.  To my amazement, Health Physics was the
thing for me!  How many other professions require significant knowledge and real
world savvy in physics, biology, chemistry, psychology, social work, medicine,
environmental science, hydrodynamics, engineering, etc. ad infinitum!

My first boss was Vincent Penikas, Ph.D. who saw my raw talent and who directed
along with the rest of the RSO staff, my self study in the field of University
and Medical Health Physics.  I devoured any H.P. books I could get my hands on.
I joined the Health Physics Society and eagerly read the Journal and the
Newsletter.  ( I still miss John Toland's editorials!)  I attended local chapter
meetings and fully participated in my wonderful discovery of the profession of
Health Physics.  Even today, after being in the profession for 18 years, I still
look forward to the next Journal or new reference book or interesting RADSAFE
post.

In reality, their are very few individuals in the field of Health Physics who
got there initially through formal health physics programs.  Most have learned
the "profession" on the job.  However, I think that some of this movement
towards licensure and certification is driven by the obvious downsizing trend
that is now going on.

While I believe that certification is desirable and that professional standards
are important, we must remember that most of us have gotten where we are by
"Non-Standard" means.  We must be doing something right, or we would all be
quickly doing something else like selling hot dogs out on the street.  (Which
from my window, sometimes looks like as noble and profitable profession as any
other, especially after NRC inspections. %^)  Goofing up in this profession, can
bring some serious consequences.

So while I appreciate the needs for standards and certification, we must refrain
from making our professional standards too rigid.  There are always exceptional
persons out there for whom "the rules" may not apply.

Michael J. Bohan, RSO   |  e-mail: mike.bohan@yale.edu
Yale-New Haven Hospital |    Tele: (203) 785-2950
Radiological Physics    |     FAX: (203) 737-4252
20 York St. - WWW 204   |    As usual, everything I say may be plausibly
New Haven, CT    06504  |    denied at my employer's convenience ...