Re: The Health Physics Profession

At 17:15 09/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>An unexpurgated quote from personal correspondence, author to remain
>anonymous:
> Lawyers who have not passed the bar are excluded from their
>profession, physicians that are not licensed are excluded from their
>profession, engineers that are not licensed are excluded from their

Engineers excluded? Since when am I not a professional?  My boss has
a PhD, and has been working for over 17 years here, I think she would
be insulted to be excluded.  My own father has designed an built radar
systems for the military (AWACS for one) and makes the tech maunals
readable for the just-out-of-high-school kids repairing these systems.
He has been an electrical engineer for over 35 years, is he not a
professional?  One of the guys in my father's division DID NOT FINISH
HIGH SCHOOL, yet (for over 40 years and counting) he is one of the leading
authorities in the world on military radar design, construction, testing,
and application.  You tell him he's not a professional.  I dare you.
All this waste of bandwidth over who can play in our little tree house
is really pointless.  How about competence, dedication, and a willingness to
further yourself in your PROFESSION as proof of being a "professional."
My company made me the RSO/HP for my facility. After my predicessor died,
I was hired (with 2 degrees in Nuclear Engineering) because of my extensive
experience with radiation, radioactive materials, handling and shipping RAM,
and an ability to interpret and follow regulations.  I attack this job
every day to maintain this facility's safety.  I also take care of chemical
safety too.  I am certainly not a chemist.  But my work is still
"professional" and I have a very serious devotion to proper ethics in my
work.
I also do radiation testing of parts for satelite systems for about
a dozen NASA projects.  Give me a break.  I don't need anyone deciding
for me that I'm not a professional because I don't have ANOTHER piece
of paper on my wall.

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarialy represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.