Re: The Health Physics Profession

On 12 Sep 97 at 9:20, Scott D. Kniffin wrote:

> Engineers excluded? Since when am I not a professional?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Professional Engineer" is a designation
acquired by having a degree in engineering, working for multiple
years under a Professional Engineer, and passing the
Engineer In Training (150 multiple choice question test when I took
it) and the Principles in Practice examinations.  (Does this process
sound familiar?)  One who has not successfully completed this process
is not entitled to use the title, "Professional Engineer," or to use
the PE designation after their name. Nor are they entitled to sign
and stamp official engineering documents.

>  How about competence, dedication, and a willingness to
> further yourself in your PROFESSION as proof of being a
> "professional."

So you are at a public hearing and you want to represent yourself as
a radiation safety professional, e.g., a health physicist.
"Competence, dedication, and a willingness to further yourself" can
be demonstrated to your boss and to your subordinates, but how do
you demonstrate it to the town official, the concerned citizen, the
antagonistic activist?

"Competence, dedication, and a willingness to further yourself"
are qualities that can be assessed by other people in the same
field, but not by outsiders.  These qualities are important to your
boss and your subordinates, but your ability perform your job and
your ability to represent your field are not the same thing.
Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.