Re: SL-1 accident -Reply

Mike,

I want to respond to your comments on SL-1.  First, it is well to remember that
SL-1 was the "Three Mile Island" of its day and that volumes have been written
about it.  As for the response being "cautious," I believe that answer must be a flat
No.  In fact, Ed Vallario was awarded a medal for heroism for his daring attempts to
reach the victims.  You may be correct in saying that no fireman got a dose greater
than 1.07 R, but Ed (a health physicist, just in case someone doesn't know)
received a dose that probably exceeded 25 rad.

Of course, many things might have been done differently at SL-1 (although nothing
could have been done after the accident that would have saver the 3 victims) but it
has been studied extensively.  Let us not re-invent the wheel.

Charlie Willis
vcaw@nrc.gov