Re: The H. P. Profession

	So if I understand Wes' reply correctly, the AAHP was driven by expediency
to reduce the number of Part II test takers.  The way the AAHP chose to do
this was not by increasing the number of question reviewers/test graders,
but rather by imposing the Bachelor degree requirement.  Interesting that
expediency was the primary driver rather than a more philosophical
consideration of the merits/demerits of requiring a degree.

Regards  David

At 01:48 PM 12-09-97 -0500, you wrote:
>People have been questioning the exclusion of non-degreed
>candidates for the CHP exams (and a bunch of tangential
>discussions).
>
>While I am not an officer of the AAHP, I believe readers of the
>CHP Corner, found in the HP Newsletter, will recall this was publicly
>discussed.  I'd further like to point out that this is the official
>publication for CHPs.  As such, each HPS member was provided with the
>exact same information that I was provided with.  I hate to be the
>one to say it, but there ain't no secret conspiracy going on.
>
>Since ya'll can look it up as well I can, I'll pass on my
>recollections (e.g., my memory may or may not be correct).  This has
>already been stated before, but maybe this will be a bit clearer:
>
>The number of candidates for the ABHP examinations has exploded in
>the past few years.  Grading Part II of the examination, in
>particular, is an extremely time consuming process.  As such, the
>number of exam-takers was overwhelming the system.  At then-
>current trends, no one would be able to take the exam because
>there would be no way to grade it.
>
>The ABHP was required to take measures to ensure the process could
>continue without significantly diluting the quality of the exam or of
>the sucessful completion.  NOTE: I, personally, have no respect for
>anyone who seriously favors a process that waters down the CHP.  Note
>that I am not saying the exam or the process is perfect and couldn't
>use some help.  If you can't figure out the difference and want to be
>insulted, go whine someplace else.
>
>Two of the recommendations were to (1) cut back on the number of
>reviewers for each question, thereby stretching resources; and (2)
>restrict the number of applicants to a more managable number.
>
>The decision to require a degree was based on the facts (which is
>different from opinions) that there were a large number of candidates
>that were failing the exam.  In particular, those without degrees
>were failing is a much larger proportion than those with degrees.  As
>such, it was decided that the most effective way to reduce candidates
>was to exclude those without a degree.  This is not to say this was a
>good thing or a bad thing, but it was the most effective thing.
>
>I do not say whether or not I agree with the decision, but I can
>respect the reasons behind it.
>
>Finally, I'd like to once again point out that, contrary to several
>mis-informed statements -- generally made by non-CHPs -- few CHPs feel
>that only CHPs are professional HPs.  After all, every CHP was a
>non-CHP the day before their exam results showed up.  And even if
>a few CHPs feel that way, it doesn't make them right.  So I'd like to
>see a little more professionalism and a bit less whining.  If you
>don't like it, just pass the "trivial, little" exam and fix the
>process from the inside.  For those without a degree, of course, it's
> [...]
David W. Lee
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services Group (ESH-12)
PO Box 1663, MS K483
Los Alamos, NM  87545
PH:   (505) 667-8085
FAX:  (505) 667-9726