Re: The H. P. Profession

Charlie Willis made some good points, as usual. I do have a few
comments, though.

Charlie did mention that by attaining the CHP, one learns more by
going through the process. he also mentioned that the statistics
demonstrate that most who do not have a degree, do not pass. These
statistics can be misinterpreted. There have also been comments that
those seeking certification in other professions, also have to
degree. If we look at some of these issues, I see the following:

1. To take a Bar Exam, one must have a Law degree. The same with a
medical or engineering certification. If that were to hold true for
the CHP, should we require that they have a HP degree, and exclude
all of the other sciences? I am not suggesting this ... but other
degrees do not allow an individual to take the few I mentioned above.

2. Resources are wasted, when non-degreed individuals seek the exam,
and fail. What are these resources? How many take the exam currently,
and, considering that exams are printed, proctors are used, the
number of exam takers doesn't seem to burden any of the facilities.
Doesn't the fact that an individual pay to take the exam, help bring
funds to the ABHP?

3. The CHP shows extended learning. I agree. But doesn't the fact
that an individual, degree or no degree, and one who fails the test,
hasn't that individual gained just from studying for the exam? Isn't
that person better able to understand the principles that a
professional HP should understand?

4. The ABHP allows any individual with any science degree to take the
exam. Per my point in No. 1, why should an individual with a BS in
anthropology or botany be better suited to take and be a CHP than an
individual who is working in the field, but just doesn't have the
degree? I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic in that.

5. If an individual fails, so they fail. They can try again... degree
or no degree.

None of the reasons I have seen posted to date really answer the
thinking process that went into imposing the degree requirement. I
also suggest that since there are many who currently holding the CHP,
that were grandfathered into the organization, that they should ALL
be required to take the exam, and pass, under today's testing
requirements. Having the CHP dangling behind one's name means they
are capable of passing an exam, but says nothing regarding their
ability to apply what they have learned, or, have been able to
memorize.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director