Re: The H. P. Profession -Reply

Sandy,

I cannot give the reasons for the decision to require a degree for certification,
although I am sure it was debated long and hard by the members of the American
Board of Health Physics.  Probably George Vargo or other Board Members could
be induced to spell it out for you and the rest of us.  For decades there was no firm
requirement for a degree, so any change must represent current thinking and
conditions.

As for requiring those who obtained Certification by the "grandfather" provision,
bear in mind that those grandfathered had to have more health physics experience,
and generally are older, than me.  They had to be about 30 in 1960, so few are still
active.  Those who remain active, e.g. Al Brodsky, tend to have abundant
credentials, with or without certification.  Thus, it is not clear that requiring these
"old timers" to take the Examinations would serve any useful purpose.

As for requiring that the degree be in health physics, I do not believe that has
received serious consideration, in part because few active health physicists have
degrees in health physics.  I do not believe there was such a degree when the
Certification program was initiated.  Someday we may progress to the point where
the requirement is for a degree in health physics but that day probably is a
generation or more away.

While the Examinations seem to be considered the principal barrier to
Certification, there are other requirements, including professional experience and
recommendations.  Thus, every CHP has experience in the field and has
demonstrated to someone who is familiar with the discipline that he/she can and will
do the job.  We have made comparsons to other certification programs and
concluded that the health physics certification program is one of the best, although
several others have more difficult testing procedures.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov