Re: Newspaper article on Plutonium

I have now in front of me statistics on age-standardized incidence rates for
selected cancer sites from the National Cancer Institute of Canada.  According
to these statistics incidence rates have changed between 1969 and 1996 as
follows:

MALES:  melanoma:  +247%; stomach:   -43%; non-Hodgkin's lymphoma:  +128%;
bladder:  -1%; colorectal:  +21%; lung:  +52%; prostate:  +129%; all cancers:
+43%

FEMALES:  stomach:  -52%; cervix:  -63%; melanoma:  +94%; ovary:  -10%;
non-Hodgkin's lymphoma:  +118%; body of uterus:  -8%; colorectal:  -7%; lung:
+350%; breast:  +37%;
all cancers:  +23%

Note that this is only selected cancer sites and represents something of a
mixed bag.  In the case of males, the increase in lung cancer incidence
accounts for only 21% of the increase in total cancer incidence.  In the case
of females it accounts for about 53% of the increase in total cancer incidence.

I recognize that the specific mix of cancers with increasing incidence rates is
not suggestive of radiation as the cause (e.g., non-hodgkin's lymphoma has only
shown weak and inconsistent association with radiation exposure and radiation
does not appear to be a cause of prostate cancer or melanoma, while lung cancer
and colorectal cancers have been significantly associated with radiation
exposure).  Also, increases in some cancers, e.g. breast cancer, are likely to
be associated with other environmental factors such as increasing levels of
hormone like chemicals.

However, I think it is very difficult to PROVE that there is no association
with radiation to be found amongst all the cancers which are on the rise.  For
this reason I think it is inappropriate to make statements about the lack of
effects following release of large quantities of radioactivity into the
environment.

brhodes @ safety.rochester.edu ("Bill Rhodes")
97/09/15 11:46