Re: Newspaper article on Plutonium

If the incidence rates of various cancers have increased over the past few
decades, one of the biggest reasons has to be the huge ingrease in detection
technology.  I don't have hard numbers on this, as it's difficult to
quantify most of the technological progress, but I have noted a general
correlation in the numbers of cancer victims and the ability of medical
professionals to detect and treat tumors of various types (this is a topic
of particular interest to me).

Decades ago, a tumor had to be large enough to be palpable or to cause overt
health effects before a physician could find it without surgery.  Even after
opening a patient, the physician was limited to visual screening of tissues
in order to determine what was to be removed.  With the advent of more
sensitive X-ray procedures, MRI and CAT/PET scans, previously undetectable
cancers became treatable.  Most recently, radio-immuno guided surgery (RIGS)
technology has made it possible for surgeons to locate and remove tumor
masses that are almost invisible to the unaided eye.

I am inclined to believe that the actual incidence of most cancers is
staying level (or maybe actually declining?), but that we are finding more
cancers and finding them earlier than we did before.

Eric Denison
Radiation Safety Technician