Re: Newspaper article on Plutonium

Brian Gaulke wrote:

> It's my understanding that the incidence rates of many types of cancer
> have increased significantly over the last few decades.  To my knowledge
> no satisfactory explanations have been found.

Since my recollection is that this is not true, do you have a reference? If
there's a small increase in total cancer incidence its likely more than due to
lung cancer/smoking (age-adjusted of course, with lower mortality due to
better treatment), with slightly lower cancer in other.

> Under these circumstances how meaningful is it to say "no increase
> in stochastic effects have ever been
> detected or reported among the peoples of the world from this event"?
> How can a contribution from fallout, including plutonium, be ruled out?

Because people studied who have received moderately large doses don't have
higher cancer, it's not reasonable that people with hundreds or thousands of
times lower exposure had an increase. And this is within a few percent of the
variation in natural background, within which no excess cancer is found either.

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com