Re: Re[2]: ABHP Degree Requirement - Background and Perspective

I want to thank Les Aldrich for his articulate and reasoned response to the
emotional attack on a RADSAFE member who advanced the concept that a ABHP
candidate should have a college degree. Les expressed so well what I have been
thinking about but failed to put into words.

This debate reminds me of an article in the "Wall Street Journal", which
appeared approximately 1 year, ago.  Although it was not about health physics,
the ideas are becomming all too applicable to our profession.

The article showed how we have changed from a society of achievers to a
society of victims.  Although I admit that this is a gross generalization, it
seems that, in the past, when your efforts did not succeed, you looked to
yourself, figured out what the problem was, and worked (sometimes, extremely
hard) to fix it.  If the problem was a lack of education, you went to night
school.  If the problem was a lack of experience, you often accepted an
apparently lower level job to gain that experience.  Now, it seems that the
road to success is not to achieve, but, rather, to demonstrate that you're a
victim; i.e., that your problem is someone else's fault, and that you either
deserve compensation, such as special preference, or that it's ok to ignore
your problem.

I maintain that this attitude is as unhealthy for the health physics
profession as it is for society as a whole.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

This is a Mime message, which your current mail reader
may not understand. Parts of the message will appear as
text. To process the remainder, you will need to use a Mime
compatible mail reader. Contact your vendor for details.

--IMA.Boundary.919415478

     Its nice, every once in a while, to see a totally emotional message.
     It reminds me to remember to write my emotional response, read it,
     delete it, and then respond to the issue.

     At first, I thought perhaps Mr. Fenner was reflecting the modern
     educational policy of "It doesn't matter if you know anything when you
     graduate, as long as you feel good about yourself."  But he has been
     in the field for 17 years, so that can't be right.

     Since there was no factual or rational information in the message,
     what is it that we are supposed to do about certification?

     How about this:  A sixth grade education, followed by a high school
     GED qualifies you to take the examination.  The examination will
     consist of writing "Health Physicist" on the blackboard 10 times
     without misspelling more than 40% of the words.  If that's still too
     elitist, we could drop the GED and spelling requirements!

     Personally, I flunked the Part I exam twice, and the only one I got
     mad at was myself for not studying hard enough.

     Don't blame anyone else for the message above, I did it by myself.

     Les Aldrich

     e-mail: l_k_ii_les_aldrich@rl.gov