Re: X-ray Acne Treatment

At 12:18 PM 9/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Good morning,
>
>Have any of you ever heard of using X-rays for the treatment of acne?  One of
>our workers has described getting such treatment in the 60's.  His description
>of the procedure sounds like a UV Treatment, which was common, but certain
>aspects of his recollections would be consistent with X-ray treatment (lead
>apron drapes, a "cone shaped" irradiator, etc.).
>
>If such treatment was done, do you have any estimates of the doses (or dose
>rates) involved?
>
>Jim Barnes, CHP
>Radiation Safety Officer
>Rocketdyne Division; Boeing North American

My mother described what she called x-ray treatments to her left underarm
and chest area for severe acne and "boils" in the early 60's (while pregnant
with my little sister!!).  It apparently worked well. In 1976 she was
diagnosed with breast cancer, and had a left-side modified radical
mastectomy, subsequent chemotherapy, and died two years ago.  I can't say
definitively that it was a result of such x-ray treatment, but ...

Regards,

Tyler

Tyler M. Lembcke, M.S.
Radiation Oncology Physicist
St. Luke's Medical Center
Dept. Rad. Onc.
P.O. Box 2901
2900 W. Oklahoma Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2901
USA
Office: (414) 649-6560
Fax:    (414) 649-5309
physics@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/physics/index.htm

      THE LAST OF HUMAN FREEDOMS IS
THE CHOICE OF ATTITUDE IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION
    ---------Victor Frankl----------

               BE  FREE