Re: Question on Specific Activity

49 CFR 173.403 states:

"Specific activity of a radionuclide means the activity of the radionuclide
per unit mass of that nuclide.  The specific activity of a material in which
the radionuclide is essentially uniformly distributed is the activity per unit
mass of the material."  There is some judgment regarding "essentially
uniformly distributed".  Some examples I would use are:

solution of radioactive material in a drum:  I would calculate the specific
activity as the activity per mass of solution, not counting the mass of the
drum

radwaste encapsulated in concrete:  I would calculate the specific activity as
the activity per unit mass of the waste material, not counting the mass of the
encapsulating material

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

Hello,

I have a question regarding the definition of Radioacive material in 49 CFR
Part 173.403.  If the specific activity is greater than 2 nCi/g, then it is
radioactive.

When determining specific activity, what can you average this over?  Is it
just the source/sources inside or the entire contents and container?
Sincerely,

Tim Paul, MS, CHP
UCLA Radiation Safety Lab
A6-060 C CHS