Subject: Question on Specific Activity
Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu > at SMTPGATE
Date:    9/17/97 2:29 PM

Hello,

I have a question regarding the definition of Radioacive material in 49 CFR
Part 173.403.  If the specific activity is greater than 2 nCi/g, then it is
radioactive.

When determining specific activity, what can you average this over?  Is it
just the source/sources inside or the entire contents and container?
Sincerely,

Tim Paul, MS, CHP
UCLA Radiation Safety Lab
A6-060 C CHS