Re: Question on Specific Activity

> Date:          Wed, 17 Sep 97 14:59:37 -0500
> From:          James Reese <jreese@smtpgate.ddrw.dla.mil>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Question on Specific Activity

>      This is sometimes a very difficult question to answer.  Unless the
>      source is evenly distributed over the container you cannot use the
>      entire container.  I would recommend looking at the NRC homepage
>      (http://www.nrc.gov) under their technical papers.  At one time there
>      was a Branch Technical Position on this exact subject.
>
>      Jim Reese
>      Defense Logistics Agency
>      jreese@ddrw.dla.mil
>      JUST MY THOUGHTS

> Subject: Question on Specific Activity
> Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu > at SMTPGATE
> Date:    9/17/97 2:29 PM
>

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the definition of Radioacive material in 49 CFR
> Part 173.403.  If the specific activity is greater than 2 nCi/g, then it is
> radioactive.
>
> When determining specific activity, what can you average this over?  Is it
> just the source/sources inside or the entire contents and container?
> Sincerely,
>
> Tim Paul, MS, CHP
> UCLA Radiation Safety Lab
> A6-060 C CHS
> Box 957061
> Los Angeles, CA  90095-7061
> --------------------------------------
> e-mail:      tjpaul@ucla.edu
> Tel No.:     (310) 794-7365
> Fax No.:     (310) 206-9051
> http://www.facnet.ucla.edu/radsafety/
> --------------------------------------
>
>I believe that the NRC Branch Technical Position related to
concentrations for the purpose of determining the waste class, not
for deterimining whether or not something met the DOT definition of
radioactive material.

<>    Charles R. (Russ) Meyer                  <>
<> Email: cmeyer@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us           <>
<>     Phone:(512)834-6688                       <>
<>        Fax:(512)834-6654                        <>